Lead Instructor: Carrie Hill
This three-day workshop addresses the key legal issues that jails confront every day. Also discussed are the Supreme Court decisions of the last 12 months, which are explained with an emphasis on how they affect jail management. Participants are educated on what they need to know in order to reduce litigation in their facility. Learn how you can protect yourself and your facility.
- Examine the standards as set out by the U.S. Supreme Court to develop institutional policies and procedures that address inmate rights under the 1st, 4th, 8th, and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution including:
- Freedom of speech.
- Free exercise of religion.
- Access to courts and counsel.
- Search and seizure.
- Medical and mental healthcare.
- Duty to protect.
- Conditions of confinement.
- Use of force.
- Analyze and apply the latest Federal legislation to assess institutional policies and procedures (e.g., ADAII, PLRA; PREA, RLUIPA).
- Develop practical strategies to protect your agency from civil liability.
- Apply effective methods to respond in a proactive manner to legal issues in jails.
*Register by December 25, 2019 and you will receive an early registration discount of $100*
Program fee includes all training materials. Lodging and meals are the responsibility of the attendee.
Naval Consolidated Brig Chesapeake
1548 Wilderness Road
Chesapeake, VA 23322